What is a concussion?
Concussion is a mild form of traumatic brain injury that results in functional injury to the brain. It is caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or body that causes the brain to move quickly back and forth. Concussions may occur with sports injuries or falls.
Our Concussion Team & Services
Our expert team of fellowship-trained sports medicine physicians provide children and adults with the medical and rehabilitation support needed to recover from a head injury. Our services include:
- Post-concussion evaluation (SCAT 5, King-Devick)
- Physical therapy, neuropsychology, speech and language pathology referral (if needed)
- Rehabilitation and return-to-play
Learn more about our sport concussion experts: Dr. Efren Caballes >>> | Dr. Ryan C. Kruse >>>
Our Treatment Approach
- Initial treatment typically consists of physical and mental rest.
- Medications may be prescribed when needed.
- Rehabilitation may be prescribed for any persistent physical or cognitive deficits.
- Athletes will be safely guided through return to-play and return-to learn treatment plans.